Friday, November 18, 2011

9. In the Spirit of Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and that means it's time to be thankful for all of the great things we have in our lives.  It's also a time to totally stuff yourself with really great food, which I am totally looking forward to as well.

I am so thankful for my family and the great food I know they will make on turkey day, my friends and their relentless pursuit of fun and debauchery, and my cat because she's cute and cuddly and makes a really great couch buddy. 



One woman, Betty Fain, the face of the company Austal USA LLC's new recruitment campaign has much to be thankful for as well.  And this company now has a great story to tell, one that will touch many people and create the emotional connection that campaigns are always striving for.

Betty is one hell of a go getter, she applied for a job with the company (and got it of course), but her story is one about a woman who has overcome the odds and pulled her life together.  Now as the face of this campaign she has the chance to inspire others to do the same.  Betty struggled for years with homelessness and drug addiction, now she is a full time employee and an inspiration. 

"In only four years, Fain reinvented herself, trading a life on the streets and a debilitating, 30-year crack-cocaine addiction for her own apartment and an $18-an-hour job among a highly-skilled work force charged with helping the U.S. Navy modernize its aging fleet."

I would have to say that reading stories like this, seeing campaigns like this, not only makes me thankful for what I have, but it makes me thankful that there are people out there willing to tell their stories, inspire others, and as a result make what could be a mediocre campaign a powerful one. 

Read Betty's full story here


No comments:

Post a Comment