Friday, November 25, 2011

14. Brand Philosophy



A couple of weeks ago we were charged with the task of developing our very own brand philosophy.  Yup, you read that right.  Me, a professional in training had to formulate her very own philosophy.

I spent the better part of the weeks before this was due staring at a blank piece of paper and having nightmares about Deb Morrison telling me to hurry up and DO SHIT!

Thank god it finally came to me in the wee hours of the night a day or 2 before it was due (yes procrastination really does light a fire under my ass).

This is what I came up with, it seemed so intuitive once I started writing.  The first words that sparked the creative process were from our very own Scott Bedbury "All brands need good parents". That quote inspired me to use a whole slew of things that your mom has probably said to you like "It takes a village..." or "Always wear clean underwear in case you get hit by a bus" and "Don't grow up to be just like your mother" to explain my philosophy.

I know it sounds like an odd explanation but put succinctly it sounds a little like this:

A brand should be like your baby.  You don't want your brand going out in the world to become some manipulating little scum bag, you want your brand to go out there and make a difference, to be a good kid.  To do this you need to collaborate with a whole slew of great people, you need to pay attention to the little things, and finally you need to evolve and pave a new and exciting path.

No comments:

Post a Comment