Wednesday, October 5, 2011

1. The intimidation factor.


Recently I was exposed to this lovely piece by Karl Fisch in my Media Planning course here at the UO. Holy shit! If you are a student, or a professional or even if you are just some random person who is considering making it out there in the world of technology, watch this and let me know how it makes you feel.  Oh, and one other thing;  This was made in 2008, that fact alone should make you freak out just a little bit more.  Just think of how much higher the figures are and how much more advanced the world has become in the few years since this was created. 

I was blown away by these stats, and of course, Professor Koranda showed this at the beginning of class as a result I proceeded to spend the next hour completely spazzing out about my future.  Thoughts like,  "how on earth will I stand out when there are 1300 people just like me!" or "I don't even know what an excabyte is!" were all running through my head.  FYI: I am really skilled at spazzing out sometimes, but I am equally skilled at calming myself down and thinking rationally.  It usually takes me a couple of hours and a good cup of coffee (or a nice stiff drink) to calm down and look at things like the level headed human being that I know I really am.  Once I did that, I took a second look at this video and realized that it is full of great information on how to approach this last year of my college career.

Standing out when there are (at least) 1300 people just like you is hard, but this year the ultimate goal is not to be just like the other 1300, but to be THE ONE in 1300, the one that stands out, the one that agencies look at and go "that's some great stuff".  Hopefully they follow that line up with a job offer.  Time to do shit, time to make stuff and time to work my ass off in order to succeed.  Oh, and if you want to know what an excabyte is take a second look at the video, 3:17 mark.
How did this video make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment